Friday 17 February 2012

Resilience in the Classroom


It was interesting to see a report in this week’s Evening Standard regarding an initiative to train teachers to help support their pupils become more resilient. The article suggests that the reason for such an approach is that our children have somehow gone ‘’soft’’ and don’t know how to cope with failure. This is an interesting take on resilience and although the elements of the programme detailed make absolute sense I do hope that the initiative helps address long term development of resilience which for me also includes wellbeing.

From what I can understand the training will support students to set clear goals, encourage optimistic thinking and help manage emotions. These areas fit well into the headings of ‘Structure’ and ‘Attitude’ which underpin the SAW system developed by myself to coach clients through ‘The Resilient Leader’ programme. Clear goals, developed from a having a sense of purpose provide individuals with a meaningful and realistic framework upon which they can achieve future aspirations. Changing key personality traits is problematical however developing behaviours and attitude through building an individual’s self esteem, pragmatic optimism and regard for others is realistic and very achievable.

Walking back from a coaching session today it was interesting to note the activities of passing children enjoying their half term holiday. A number were congregating outside a takeaway enjoying chips and burgers whilst a couple were having a smoke, ironically outside a ‘Health’ centre. Now I guess my Reticular Activating System was aroused sufficiently from reading the article to note these finer details and admittedly I did see a number of children cycling around enjoying themselves. The question I ask myself is around the opportunity to engage children in the basic art of healthy living and ‘Wellbeing’. Now you may be thinking I need to lighten up a bit and let kids enjoy themselves and address ‘health’ issues when they hit full on adulthood. However it is a statistical fact that an obese adolescent is likely to have obese parents. 

I firmly believe that taking a proactive approach to our wellbeing is a fundamental component of building individual resilience, providing  higher grade ‘fuel’ to drive the bodies engine when tough terrain is encountered. This analogy may give the impression that I’m talking only about diet and exercise, however it’s so much more than this. The quantity and quality of sleep are vital components of wellbeing yet I know from firsthand experience that many teenagers stay up until the early hours. Brain stimulation is another area that shouldn’t be neglected especially at an early age. Mastering a musical instrument or artistic pursuit were often ways of expanding the mind, however I wonder whether the same expansion occurs when sat with an I pad on the lap? Technology is a wonderful thing; however, I admittedly struggle to remember the last time I did some rudimentary maths in my head.

I wish everyone involved with the ‘Young Foundation’s Resilience Project’ the very best and hope the model is taken up outside of the London pilot. I also hope that The Department of Education also ensures that pupil Wellbeing remains high on the curriculum.


For a free copy of my guide to the seven steps that can improve your company’s competitive advantage please click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment