Friday 9 December 2011

Gotta be 'kerfing' for resilience


It’s been a busy couple of week for me which has impacted on the time I’ve had to blog. I’ve been working hard to finish updating ‘The Resilient Leader’ programme which will be ready for launching in the New Year.
It’s been a good example of where you really have to focus in on a priority to achieve a specific goal within a fixed timeline. Like most people in business I believe I can improve and know I need to effectively manage the time I give myself to manage my emails and other communications. The first step is ‘habitulising’ the discipline of only working on emails at fixed times, whilst managing expectations of those who assume that a response will be immediately forthcoming. I’m getting pretty good at this, however I do need to work on keeping the amount of time set aside for emails down to a minimum.
Focus is a key part of ‘The Resilient Leader’ programme as it provides you with a clearer structure to your working day that allows the cut through to complete key tasks.

Structure is one of the three components of the S-A-W (Structure, Attitude, Wellbeing) system that I work through with clients. 

Whilst researching the programme I came up with a interesting word which I’ve never come across before.

The word is ‘kerf’

If you look at the section of a traditional hand saw you can see that the teeth flare out alternatively allowing the blade to cut through the material without getting jammed.
The total width of the flared teeth is known as the ‘kerf’ of the blade and is critical for a saw to perform effectively.

I really like the word and thought about how I could use it as an acronym that summarises the benefits of adopting the S-A-W system.
I came up with the following....
Keep...
Energised – taking action to fuel both mind and body (Wellbeing)
Related – to self and others (Attitude)
Focused – to achieve desired outcomes (Structure)

So I will keep ‘kerfing’ to ensure that normal blogging service is resumed!


For a free copy of my guide to the seven steps that can improve your company's competitive advantage please click on the link below


http://www.martincrisp.com/freebook/






No comments:

Post a Comment